If you are an iterant who loves art and have a penchant for watching artistic masterpieces then this cities guide is for you. It talks of the best cities in the world that are affluent in art and culture. So whether you seek conceptual art or masterpieces done by eminent old masters, there is something amazing to discover in each of the city mentioned here. In fact the artistic charm and the glory of these cities will enchant even the people who are not even remotely interested in art!
1. Florence, Italy
Michelangelo’s hometown and birthplace of the Renaissance art movement; Florence is a must-visit shrine for art lovers. To experience some of the best arts you needn’t really have to look for stuffy art galleries and museums, as the streets and public piazzas are brilliant with statues, fountains, frescoes and sculptures.
Arty hotspots to visit:
- Galleria dell’ Accademia: This gallery features masterpieces of Venetian painting. It is abode to the world’s famous sculpture Michelangelo’s ‘David’.
- Duomo: With its distinctive art work this famous and marvelous Cathedral dome dominates both the church and Florence city.
- Galleria degli Uffizi: A contemporary museum featuring paintings done by Rembrandt, Michelangelo, Botticelli and Raphael. It is considered as first modern works museum in the Europe.
2. Basel, Switzerland
Host to the Art Basel, a significant contemporary art fair, this Swizz City in the North sharing boundary with Germany and
France has good cultural impact in the entire region. Though the city is small it hosts incomparably good amount of cultural events. Some must visit arty places include:
- Kunstmuseum Basel: One of the oldest museums in the region that covers European masterworks from Holbein to Picasso.
- Schauleger: This is an institute as well as museum that encompass amazing Emmanuel Hoffman Foundation collection of about 400 or more contemporary masterpieces from favorites of Richard Tuttle and Cindy Sherman.
3. Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong’s art scene is fast growing in popularity. Increasing demand for Chinese and Asian art is drawing attention of some reputed international art galleries such as Pearl Lam, Gagosian, White Club and many more. Hong Kong’s contemporary artwork galleries make art lovers giddy with pleasure. The West Kowloon Cultural District is proposed to be constructed, which will bring together 17 cultural venues and various performing arts venues including the Xiqu Centre – specially meant for Chinese opera and M+ – a museum focusing on 20th and 21st century art and visual culture.
4. Santa Fe, New Mexico
Situated in the southwest of United States of America, this city attracted various artists since early 20th century with its beauty and the unique amalgamation of native and Hispanic cultures. Santa Fe achieved the status of UNESCO Creative City in 2005 as it features nearly 250 art galleries and museums that cluster along the Canyon Road.
Arty hotspots to visit:
- Georgia O’Keeffe Museum: This is a popular museum with more than 3,000 ultramodern artifacts featuring colorful landscapes around Santa Fe.
- City of Taos: This art city is about 70 miles North from Santa Fe and is UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1992. Paintings of local sceneries and activities can be seen in this art colony.
- Santa Fe Plaza: This small city park in downtown Santa Fe is a National Historic Landmark used for many events. Surrounded by museum, restaurants, art galleries and shops, it is popular vacation spot for tourists as well as locals.
5. Berlin, Germany
This capital city of Germany is renowned for art and culture from a very long time. Since the significant events like the fall of Berlin Wall in 1989 and Berlin’s Reunification in 1990, the city has reinvented itself into a cultural and art venue. It today boasts of high-end art galleries with advanced exhibits and a multitude of museums with excellent architecture, clearly demonstrating why the city has attained the status of an exotic art capital. Among the European countries it is considered as the third most visited city and of course a not to miss venue for art lovers.
Arty hotspots to visit:
- Museum Island: When at Berlin, you ought to visit the Museumsinsel or Museum Island. This arty hotspot and UNESCO World Heritage arts center hosts five different museums in a single complex. It encompasses Altes Museum, Pergamon Museum, Neues Museum or New Museum, Alte Nationalgalerie or Old National Gallery and Bode Museum. Apart from German and French paintings these museums feature Rome and Greece antiquities.
- Dahlem Museum: If the Museum Island has vetted your appetite for art, go on to explore the Dahlem Museum, a cluster of four museums featuring finest artwork and artifacts from Africa, Asia and the South Seas. It also offers a peep in the exotic art done by the Early Europeans and the Native American.
- Gemäldegalerie: Do include the Gemäldegalerie, the Picture Gallery in your itinerary. This phenomenal gallery features painting by renowned European artists.